The upcoming Pelgrane Press RPG of horror and madness, The Yellow King Roleplaying Game, shot past it’s Kickstarter funding goal within the first four hours of going live; as of this writing the project has cleared $100k in funding. The latest RPG design (based on the GUMSHOE system) from Robin D. Laws takes players into the world of Robert W. Chambers’ classic tales. Four books will provide different settings and timelines for gamers to explore as they seek to prevent an alien race from disastrously altering our world. Currently you can reserve a copy of game in PDF for a $32.00 pledge or both PDF and print at the $76.00 pledge level through July 21st.
About The King in Yellow:
Pelgrane Press is terrified to announce The Yellow King Roleplaying Game, an innovative new GUMSHOE core game written and designed by creator of the system Robin D. Laws. YKRPG takes you on a brain-bending spiral through multiple selves and timelines.
- Belle Epoque Paris, where a printed version of the dread play is first published. Players portray American art students in its absinthe-soaked world, navigating the Parisian demimonde and investigating mysteries involving gargoyles, vampires, and decadent alien royalty. Includes the core rules.
- The Wars, an alternate reality in which the players take on the role of soldiers bogged down in the great European conflict of 1947. While trying to stay alive on an eerie, shifting battlefield, they investigate supernatural mysteries generated by the occult machinations of the Yellow King and his rebellious daughters.
- Aftermath, set later in the same reality, in 2017 North America. A bloody insurrection has toppled a dictatorial regime loyal to Carcosa. Players become former partisans adjusting to ordinary life, trying to build a just society from the ashes of civil war. But not all of the monsters have been thoroughly banished—and like it or not, they’re the ones with the skills to hunt them and finish them off.
- This is Normal Now. In the 2017 we know, albeit one subtly permeated by supernatural beings and maddening reality shifts, ordinary people band together, slowly realizing that they are the key to ending a menace spanning eras and realities.
- A completely new player-facing combat system.
- A fresh, evocative approach to wounds, physical and psychic, inspired by the innovations of GUMSHOE One-2-One.
- Linked character creation across multiple settings.
The Yellow King Roleplaying Game. The core game. Four books in 6″ x 9″ format, grouped together in a gorgeous slipcase: Paris; The Wars, Aftermath, and This Is Normal Now. Core rules appear in the Paris book, with brief setting-specific rules sections in the other three. The beautiful and ingenious slipcase includes a GM screen. Although dabblers can get just a PDF of Paris book by pledging at the introductory Dauber tier, the four books are not sold separately. When you purchase The Yellow King Roleplaying Game, you get the complete set of four.