January will see the release of a Dungeon Crawl Classics Empire of the East sourcebook from Goodman Games. Perfect for Mutant Crawl Classics too, the book will feature loads of gaming material tackling the classic Fred Saberhagen fantasy series. I don’t have a final page count for the sourcebook – the Kickstarter proposed 80 to 90 pages – but the hardcover will carry an MSRP of $29.99 when it arrives next month. A 5E edition is also in the works.
From Goodman Games:
Thousands of years ago, the ashes of nuclear fire changed the world. The weapons of mass destruction ceased to work as the laws of physics altered. In their wake came elementals and demons, creatures from the darkest dreams and nightmares of mankind. Magic returned to the world. Humankind arose from the ashes and rebuilt society, just as the vile Empire of the East wielded the demonic powers of Orcus to sweep across the globe. Now it falls to a small group of resistance fighters to reclaim freedom for humanity!
Welcome to the Empire of the East role-playing game sourcebook, designed for the Dungeon Crawl Classics rules set, and also compatible with Mutant Crawl Classics. Herein you’ll find information regarding Fred Saberhagen’s seminal trilogy of novels, which set the stage for his rich fantasy world and were among Gary Gygax’s stated Appendix N inspirations for Dungeons & Dragons.
Officially licensed by the estate of Fred Saberhagen, this hardcover sourcebook offers everything you need to play DCC RPG campaigns in the world of the Empire of the East. Lead designer Jason Vey has adapted the world in a simple, clean style that is easy to integrate into your DCC game, and Harley Stroh provides one of the introductory adventures included inside. Presented with stunning cover art by Ian Miller, you will find inside:
- Rules for magic tailored to the post-apocalyptic fantasy setting of the Changeling Earth, including new spells and summonings to enrich any DCC campaign
- Character options for adventuring in this world
- A discussion of demons, elementals, and monsters, including stats for creatures compatible with any DCC and MCC campaign
- Lost technology of the Golden Age of Man, and its effect on the Changeling Earth
- Statistics for all of the major characters from the trilogy, also usable as NPCs in any DCC or MCC campaign
- Two short low-level adventures to start your campaign
- And more!
Using this sourcebook requires the DCC RPG core rulebook. While this sourcebook contains all you need to play a campaign, Saberhagen’s novels are an invaluable resource in understanding the setting. We highly recommend you also read the Saberhagen Empire of the East series, available as a modern compilation or in the original three individual volumes, titled The Broken Lands, The Black Mountains, and Ardneh’s World (or Changeling Earth).