One of the most highly anticipated roleplaying games of 2018 is a week away from beginning a crowdfunding run on Kickstarter. After spending a bit of time in the planning phase, John Carter of Mars: Adventures on The Dying World of Barsoom will no doubt be the latest in the Modiphius Entertainment lineup of excellent roleplaying games. I’m hoping we see the same sort of excellent work as we did with Robert E. Howard’s Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of (you can read my review here). The John Carter of Mars Kickstarter will launch mid-day on January 8th and I’ll bring you the latest pledge level and stretch goal info once it’s available.
- An overview of Burrough’s Barsoom and its peoples, perfect to introduce new players to the wondrous world of John Carter of Mars.
- Detailed chapters on technology, creatures, and various cultures.
- A new skillless Talent focused variation of the 2d20 system, including a step by step character generation system designed to make heroes from a variety of backgrounds and concepts. Choose a wide variety of characters such as a dashing Red Martian duelist, a brilliant First Born scientist, a savage Beastmaster, a courageous airship officer, a disciplined assassin, or even Earthborn characters, so players can follow in the bounding footsteps of John Carter himself!
- A detailed Narrator’s section with information on how to run genre and setting appropriate games and campaigns, including information about the great secrets of Barsoom.
- Three eras of play based on the adventures of John Carter himself. Play during the early days of Dotar Sojat, adventure during the time when Carter was a Prince of Helium and in the years after when he was believed dead, or fight alongside Carter and his allies during the later Jeddak of Jeddaks era.
- An introductory adventure, the Mind Merchants of Mars, to get players and Narrators started on their adventures.