The OSR focused zine Harrowings has a new issue available from Agnvs Dei Studios and Exalted Funeral. You’ll find 112 pages packed with heavy metal favored Old School Essentials adventuring in Harrowings 3: Muspelhell. You can grab the softcover and PDF for an MSRP of $15.00.
About the zine:
Harrowings: “An RPG Zine to Steal your Soul”!
Harrowings is a collaboration-based RPG Zine with Old School gaming content. It strives to help you create storytelling experiences blending the tried-and-true Fantasy and Horror genres.
Most of the game content is system-neutral, and all of it is easily hackable.
For this 3rd issue, instead of the usual format, the creators made a 112-page Old School Essentials-compatible dungeon adventure featuring Dwarves, Norse Mythology, Metal, Macho Man Randy Savage Energy, and a magical Super Ass. Literally.
- 3 Dungeon Levels, with over 40 rooms! Curated for Challenge, Lore, and Metal.
- Our Dwarves are Different: Dwarf Character Generation that includes OSE Rules plus a gamut of randomly generated Dwarf-Centric stats – like Beard, Pride, Family House, and Scar. With slight mechanical benefits, and just enough charm to make their brutal deaths hurt the heart! (Insert Lich Cackle Here)
- Solo RPG Support: Play as a squad of Dwarves, and try to best the forces of Surt on your own! Oracles provided by Alex of Blackoath Entertainment! OSE required!
- Heavy Metal Resource Management: You can’t just go to the Portal to Muspelheim. You must bring the enchanted Iron Door and install it in order to evade Ragnarok. The Iron Door is enchanted with ancient
- Dwarven Runes, and the bones of the Svartalf’s ancestors. It is the only hope to seal away Surtr’s rage.
- An 8-Legged Super Ass: You read that right. Ofur Asni is rumored to be the mule cousin of Sleipnir, and is the only creature that can carry the Iron Door alone. You’ll have to put up with him and his old beastmaster Bimbur’s asinine behavior while navigating the depths.
- Procedural Tunnel Encounters: Navigating the tunnels of ancient dwarven mines is no silly business! Encounter Ravines, Treasure Caches, Enemies, with Quick Procedural Tunnel Encounter Generation. No two playthroughs are the same!
- Our Trolls are Different Too! After ample research, we have discovered that Ye Olde Dee N Dee Trolls – what with the regeneration abilities and the fear of fire – aren’t true to Snorri or any of what the OG Skalds had to say about the creatures. In Muspelhell, we’ve reimagined the Trolls to be closer to what they were claimed to be, and each Troll has various random magical abilities. THE SWALLOWERS OF THE HEAVEN-WHEEL have returned!
- The Ever Prowling Fenris Wolf: As the Eater of Sun and Moon has so hunted and haunted us during the development of this adventure, SO TOO will you find him ever nipping at your heels!
Inspired by the Norns, and… Dio? Much of the inspiration for this adventure was finding the intersection between the source material for Norse Myth, and classic 80’s Heavy Metal. Enjoy the inevitable call backs and punnery that lay beneath, mocking you as your dwarves are drawn and quartered by the forces of MUSPELHELL!
- PDFs come with the complimentary AUTO DM SCREEN in the back – a 1 page Mini DM Screen whose tables help emulate a Dungeon Master for Solo Play!
- Our PDF Comes in Two Styles: Single page for mobile scrolling, as well as two-page spreads for the traditional experience.