I was starting to think we’d never see an updated and revised edition of the auto dueling board game Car Wars but Steve Jackson Games launched a Black Friday Kickstarter to fuel it’s return. Based on the classic released in 1981, Car Wars Sixth Edition promises faster vehicle creation and gameplay while also featuring 1/64th scale miniatures. The project is past the 400% funding level and you can reserve a copy of the four player game and “ace” level stretch goals for a $75.00 pledge through January 6th. Expected delivery is November 2020.
About the project:
The first car combat game, and still the best… Car Wars returns in a bigger, faster edition. The detailed 1/64 scale cars move, shoot, and catch fire the way you remember, with faster car creation and play. Once again you can rule the roads!
North America, A.D. 2069. It’s a new American frontier. The collapse of the U.S. government plunged the country back into the good old days — days of wilderness lawlessness, banditry, regional dictators, and of the men and women who combat them. Modern-day knights and gunslingers are in demand; but the automobile has replaced the horse, and the machine-gun and recoilless rifle have made the sword and Winchester obsolete.
Welcome to 2069. It’s a rough world, but it’s the only one around . . .
Car Wars is the game of autoduelling; futuristic vehicular combat where the right of way goes to the biggest guns. Players design their cars — complete with weapons, accessories, and crew — and then take them into the arena where one emerges victorious . . . and the others are annihilated.
The new core game includes:
- 24-page rulebook, covering everything from building your car to movement and combat. All of the rules you need to start playing the game within moments of opening the box!
- Six 1/64 scale highly-detailed plastic car models. Pre-assembled at the factory, these miniatures are ready to paint and take into the arena. Or, for those of you who want to jump into the action quickly, use the minis unpainted; the included car bases are color-coded so that you can instantly tell which car is yours during the heat of battle. Stretch goals, if unlocked, will boost this to a total of eight different car models in the core box.
- Four color-coded player dashboards. These thick, durable chipboard player boards include spaces for your car’s external armor, tire points, power plant points, as well as your car’s current speed.
- Four car design decks, one for each of the included player colors. Using the Build Point and Crew Point mechanics, you can create a new car (and outfit your driver and gunner) in less than ten minutes!
- Two different internal damage card decks, one for low-point value games and one for high-point value games. Once armor is penetrated, a card is randomly drawn to determine which internal components are hit by an attack.