My friends at Cubicle 7 Entertainment have been burning the midnight oil and recently announced a new edition of the hit roleplaying game The One Ring, based on the works of J.R.R. Tolkien, will begin arriving late this year and into next. The One Ring – The Lord of the Rings Roleplaying Game will revamp the system and include plenty of new artwork. An interesting side note is C7 pointing out all previously released sourcebooks and supplements will be compatible with the second edition. Plans are to release a corebook and starter set sometime between Q4 2019 and Q1 2020.
From Cubicle 7:
The year 2011 saw the release of “The One Ring Roleplaying Game – Adventures over the Edge of the Wild”, our first publishing venture into Middle-earth roleplaying. The award-winning game was hailed as the best way of bringing Middle-earth to the gaming table, thanks to its thematic rules and focus on capturing the feel of this iconic setting.
To this day, The One Ring has spawned multiple supplements, and a sister line of publications for 5e – Adventures in Middle-earth. Players of the game have travelled far and wide across Middle-earth, from wild Rhovanion and desolate Eriador to Rohan, adventuring for more than thirty years of game time. Eight years after its debut, it is the time for The One Ring to enter a new era.
Today we are very excited to announce that we are currently hard at work on a second edition of The One Ring Roleplaying Game.
The One Ring – The Lord of the Rings Roleplaying Game brings players further into the Twilight of the Third Age and closer to the events of the War of the Ring. It has been almost 25 years since the defeat of Smaug the Terrible and the hope that came with the death of the Dragon has dwindled. A Shadow grows in the East and the Dark Lord’s forces are mustering their strength. The Steward of Gondor has need of heroes, and great deeds await those who would answer the call.
The second edition of the game will feature all new art, as well as stunning new maps created by renowned cartographer Jared Blando. Players can choose from 11 Cultures and 6 Callings from across Middle-earth to create their Company and their journeys will see them play a crucial role in the events leading up to The War of the Ring. This edition also features a set of updated and streamlined rules, developed from years of players’ feedback and design development, and implemented by renowned designer Francesco Nepitello.
Those who have been with us since the beginning will be happy to learn that all previously released material for The One Ring will be usable with the second edition, with only minor adjustments.
THE WORLD AHEAD
he One Ring – The Lord of the Rings Roleplaying Game will launch between Q4 2019 and Q1 2020 with the core rules and Starter Set. Below you can see the products currently in development. We will update these with release dates as they become available.
- The One Ring – The Lord of the Rings Roleplaying Game: The 352 page core rules featuring stunning new art, maps, rules for character creation, and everything you will need to adventure in the lands of Middle-earth.
- The One Ring – The Lord of the Rings Starter Set: Explore the Misty Mountains and reclaim the Horn of the Storm in the perfect introduction to The One Ring Roleplaying Game. This box set includes a 64 page adventure, a 48 page guide to the lands of the Misty Mountains, a set of dice, six pre-generated characters, character handouts, tokens, and more.
- Loremaster’s Screen and Legends of Middle-earth: A beautifully illustrated Loremaster’s Screen along with a 32 page collection of mini adventures that Loremaster’s can drop into their games.
- Fell Foes: A dedicated bestiary containing fell foes and dangerous creatures from all across Middle-earth.
- Minas Tirith – The Tower of Guard: A guide to the city of Minas Tirith and its surrounding lands.
- The Errantries of the King: A campaign adventure set in Gondor. Written by Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan, author of The Darkening of Mirkwood.
- Moria – The Long Dark: Explore Khazad-dûm deep beneath the Misty Mountains in this long awaited adventure for The One Ring – The Lord of the Rings Roleplaying Game.