The Old-School Essentials Rules Tome has arrived in print from Necrotic Gnome. The well received modern take on the 1981 edition of the D&D Basic/Expert rules is now out in a single volume. The 296 page deluxe hardcover print edition can be ordered at the Necrotic Gnome site for a sale price of $40.00. The PDF is available at DriveThruRPG for $20.00.
From Necrotic Gnome:
Old-School Essentials is an adventure role-playing game of exploration, danger, monsters, and magic. The game is intentionally rules-light, putting the focus of play on imagination, improvisation, and fun. The rules are optimized for ease of use at the table, with meticulous attention to wording and layout clarity. What’s more, Old-School Essentials is 100% compatible with the classic Basic/Expert game from 1981, meaning that decades of adventure are at your fingertips!
A Complete Game All in One Book
The Old-School Essentials Rules Tome is a complete game of classic fantasy adventure, containing the following:
- Core rules: Rules for character creation and advancement, adventuring in dungeons, the wilderness, and at sea, magic and combat.
- Character options: Seven classic classes (cleric, dwarf, elf, fighter, halfling, magic-user, thief), complete lists of weapons and adventuring gear, extensive lists of vehicles, mounts, and vessels, mercenaries and specialists for hire, rules for stronghold construction.
- Spells: The complete set of 34 cleric spells (from 1st to 5th level) and 72 magic-user spells (from 1st to 6th level), for use by players or cleric, elf, and magic-user characters.
- Monsters: A selection of over 200 classic monsters to challenge adventurers of all levels.
- Treasures: A hoard of over 150 wondrous magic items.
The material in this book forms a complete clone of the classic Basic/Expert game, including all rules, classes, spells, monsters, and magic items.