Earlier this morning, Kobold Press launched a Kickstarter to bring their Tales of the Valiant roleplaying game to players everywhere. Built on the core of 5E D&D, but not subject to the OGL, the system promises to put a new spin on those familiar mechanics inside a bit “crunchier” rules set. The project roared past its funding goal within its first moments and you can reserve physical copies of both the core rules and monsters books for a $99.00 pledge or grab them in PDF for $48.00. A variety of VTTs are supported as well. The project will run through June 23rd and expected delivery on the physical books is slated for next April, with the alpha PDF available this summer.
About the project:
Tales of the Valiant is the most established new game you’ll ever play.
We had already committed to creating our own game when the 5th Edition System Reference Document 5.1 was released into the Creative Commons. After that, it was clear we could build on the foundation that so many people already know and love.
While its roots are familiar, the Tales of the Valiant RPG brings new realms of adventure to the table. Explore the new Mechanist class, the kobold and bearfolk character lineages, and hundreds of new options in the form of talents, spells, and monsters.
Kobold Press is refitting 5th Edition to use more straightforward language, reduce complexity, and organize information in a user-friendly way. This presentation style uses examples and standout advice to help onboard new players.
Here are the big-picture streamlining goals we are working toward:
- Make the rules easier to read, understand, and use.
- Reduce GM burden with encounter-building tools, exploration encounter tools, social encounter tools, and more.
- Rebalance some existing elements such as feats (now known as talents) and subclasses.
- Provide opportunities for PCs to make meaningful choices throughout every level of play.
- Make spellcasting cooler.
- Keep combat interesting for martial characters.