An interesting looking new fantasy roleplaying game has caught my eye from Elf Lair Games. Taking a fresh approach to the world of swords & sorcery is Wasted Lands: The Dreaming Age. The game consists of two volumes; the core rulebook and the Campaign Guide and Gazetteer. Physical copies are set for a Q4 release and you can preorder the corebook and the Gazetteer for MSRPs of $49.00 each or grab the PDFs right now at DriveThruRPG for $20.00 each (currently on sale for $15.00 each).
About the game:
Wasted Lands: The Dreaming Age is a game of swords and sorcery in a savage lost epoch, set millions of years ago. Instead of playing adventurers tied to the service of mythological deities, you play the all-too-mortal, protohuman origins of the gods of classic mythology, whose stories will inform our own ancestral memories and ancient civilizations. As you engage with your mythology (and others), you gain special powers that will lead you on the path of apotheosis.
The game is offered as a two-volume set: the Wasted Lands: The Dreaming Age Role Playing Game, which contains all the rules of play, and The Gazetteer of the Dreaming Age and Campaign Guide, which contains the setting, bestiary, and game master information.
Within Volume 1 you will find:
- Complete rules for running a game of swords and sorcery, high fantasy, traditional fantasy, or any type of fantasy play you can imagine
- Seven character classes: the Archer, Necromancer, Psychic, Renegade, Sage, Sorcerer, and Warrior
- Simple, intuitive rules that encourage creative play and will feel familiar to players of any version of the World’s Most Famous RPG
- Divine touchstones that give a touch of mystic power on the characters’ path to apotheosis
- Customizable levels of play to set your game as gritty or cinematic as you like
- Complete rules for games Powered by O.G.R.E.S. or Powered by O.R.C.S., as you choose!
- Guidelines for conversion to a variety of unified mechanics – roll high, percentile, and dice pools
- Optional rules for skills, magical duels, enhanced combat nonhuman species, and human cultural backgrounds
- And more!
Volume 2: The Gazetteer of the Dreaming Age and Campaign Guide includes:
- A setting that evokes classic swords and sorcery with cosmic horror, which can be easily removed to play your own games in any setting you desire
- Guidelines, tips, and tricks for GMs running campaign chronicles that trace the birth of gods and for players participating in a Dreaming Age game.
- An extensive bestiary of the creatures that haunt the Spaces Between Spaces
- An overview of the history and timeline of the Dreaming Age
- A breakdown of the peoples that populate this lost epoch
- A full gazetteer of the world of the Dreaming Age, set around 65 million years ago.
- A full-color, full size poster map of the Dreaming Age by Meliora Henning.
- The New Class of Old School takes on swords, sorcery, and Yog-Sothothery!
The horrors of the Dreaming Age Call. Will you make your mark?