The scoop from Wizards of the Coast:
As if there isn’t already enough excitement around the upcoming release of Magic 2015, Wizards of the Coast has announced that the set will feature fourteen cards from some of the world’s most renowned game developers! The Magic 2015 – Core Set releases July 18, 2014.
The announcement was made at PAX East with George Fan, designer of Plants vs Zombies, revealing the card he designed, Genesis Hydra.
The developers who contributed their card ideas for Magic 2015 include:
- George Fan: designer of Plants vs Zombies
- Mike Krahulik & Jerry Holkins: Gabe and Tycho, creators of Penny Arcade
- Markus Persson: “Notch,” creator of Minecraft and founder of Mojang
- Richard Garriot: “Lord British,” creator of the Ultima series
- David Sirlin: designer on Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix, Yomi
- Rob Pardo: chief creative officer at Blizzard, lead designer of World of Warcraft
- Isaiah Cartwright: lead game designer for Guild Wars 2
- Justin Gary: designer of Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer and Solforge
- Stone Librande: lead designer at Riot Games, designer of Diablo 3, creative director of SimCity
- Brian Fargo: founder and CEO of inXile Entertainment, director of Bard’s Tale, Wasteland, executive producer of Fallout
- Mike Neumann: Gearbox Software, creative director on Borderlands
- James Ernest: owner and lead designer for Cheapass Games, designer of Kill Doctor Lucky
- Edmund McMillen: indie designer of Super Meat Boy, featured in Indie Game: The Movie
- Brad Muir: game designer at Double Fine Productions leading Massive Chalice, project lead on Iron Brigade
In addition to the cards designed by the 14 game developers, Magic 2015 will feature a card designed by the Magic community. The card, Waste Not, was a result of “You Make the Card,” a six-month long event during which the Magic community worked together to design a brand-new Magic card.